Tuesday, February 9, 2010
Distant Learning
This is a really easy topic for me to talk about. Reason being was that I took a number of online classes through Webct while in High School and also had the opportunity to revise and change a GIS online class while student teaching. The presentation was very informative. Lots of information was provided for those who have not used distant learning. Its great that anyone can work online. I felt that with my busy hockey schedule that webct was worthwhile and allowed me to work at my own home on my own time. One thing I really liked about the presentation was that there was an example online where soon to be teachers can view how it is organized and the layout of the site. One thing I do not like about webct is that it doesnt work for all classes. By this i mean Biology. I took biology online and i did learn some stuff but it was not the same as being more hands on like disecting a frog, or looking at cells. An online class for this type of subject is difficult because of all the hard components need to be covered in a word format with essays and small assignments compared to doing more visual learning.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Kelsey, you made a good point about the benefit of distance courses for those students who have other commitments in their lives. I also agree with you that it would be difficult to take an online course such as biology. I remember having to learn all the parts of the heart, and that would have been really hard to do without having any hands-on experience. Another thing that I got from this presentation was to use a web based course as a teaching resource. The units are laid out, with explanations and examples that could be really useful in creating lessons.
ReplyDeleteNice post Kelso, I really liked what you had to say about the advatages of distance education for students with busy lives. I never thought about the disadvatages of losing out on the hands on aspect of courses like biology. Maybe a solution to this could be virtual disections or disections using web based conference software such as skype, or Viop.
ReplyDeleteI also like how you talked about advantages of distance education for students with busy lives. I am pretty sure a bunch of us in that class could take advantage for some of these classes. ALthough I think distance education I do see some disadvantages with it. The biggest disadvantage is of course not being able to do any hands on work. I also think could be easier to do in certain subjects than others.
ReplyDelete