Wednesday, January 27, 2010
Second Life Presentation
In all honesty i found the presentation to be boring. Dr. Glen Gatin is a good speaker and was easy to hear from the back of the room and I think the idea was right where he explained each aspect of technology such as: social networking, RSS, virtual worlds, and so much more but to make the presentation more I think he should have opened up pages showing how to use each part. Such as showing us more programs that he uses so we can get an idea of them. That way it gives us a visual way of learning compared to just having someone talk at front of the class. He did show us some parts however. I was really interested in the virtual world thing called second life and even some of the youtube videos because that was exciting and sparked my interest. Even though the second life did not work 100% it was still neat seeing the different avatars and how that person can interact in a virtual world. For example 1 US dollar buys you 300 000 dollars in the program. Second Life is a program that I am looking up as we speak and there are lots you can do on there. A part of me makes fun of people who spend their lives through a computer program but it is fun and is an escape from reality for those who need it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I don't know about the second life program in the classroom. I think the anonymity could cause problems even within the classroom. I thought it was an interesting idea, but I don't know if that's something that I would use in my classes. I also don't like how it actually costs money to do certain things on the site.
ReplyDeleteI do agree with you about the people who live their lives through computer programs...I always thought that as well!
I partially agree with the comments regarding the use of visual worlds as a place to escape for reality.
ReplyDeleteHowever, I truly believe in the power of virtual communities and online gaming. The experience can be very meaningful. I think that students would love to have the chance to incorporate mainstream video games into their learning, rather than the mediocre education games.