About Me

My name is Kelsey McLeod. I am in my last year of Education at Brandon University. I am in the Senior Years stream but enjoy Middle Years as well.This is my first blogging experience. So far I have found it to be very fun and exciting. There are lots of cool things you can do. I plan to keep an up to date blog of my life.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Computers in the classroom

For our Reading thinking Writing class we have been asked to find educational sites to share with the class. I have noticed a wide variety of sites that offer educational games for students. I started playing some of these games and found majority of them to be very worthwhile and challenging. This also related to our Filtering assignment for IFE. A lot of schools filter any type of game sites and that is taking away students learning. Students learn in different ways and an interactive game may be a great way of teaching them the material. I found a lot of great sites that offer games for science, math, language arts, health and more. They range from strategy, action, adventure, rpg etc. With the rise of technology games are a new and exciting way for student to learn. We need to start incorporating them as part of lessons, filler time at end of class, use for reviews and just plain fun.

6 comments:

  1. I totally agree Kelso. I would love to find ways to get games into the classroom. Could you list some of the resource sites so I can check them out? Using wii fit and wii sports are two examples of ways to use games in the classroom. These games are what alot of students can relate to, so I also agree that we need to get them in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the way the Wii was utilized in Thinking class last week. I agree that fun needs to be a big part of how we are going to teach in the future. Technology will become even more important as students become desensitized to mudane aspects of technology. I think that the education games will need to be more refined and even more acessable to have an impact on students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kelsey,
    I like the idea of using games to teach students about different topics. I know that there are a lot of Physics games on the internet that could be used in a class to teach the students some of the Physics laws.

    Filtering is such a touchy topic. I think that there needs to be some sort of monitoring of the students use of the internet, but by blocking all sites that have "games" on them for example robs the students of a variety of educational opportunities.

    Z

    ReplyDelete
  4. Durga
    I agree with Kelsey the game sites are grate to use as learning tools in teaching. The schools can select the appropriate sites even as a hundred of them and make them accessible to students using a program like “moodle” without giving students the full access. I don’t like when students use the valuable computer time to play unsuitable games.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Post Kelsey!

    It is unfortunate that students are being blocked from experiencing these educational games online. As a teacher, I too would like to bring them into the classroom for my students to use. Students love playing fun games, why not find the fun educational ones.

    As for the Wii in the classroom, that would be great! So many schools have so many students jammed into the gym, or have students who do not get enough time in the gym. Wii systems would help solve this problem. It would be great to get a bunch of Wii systems, so that they can do physical activity without actually being in the gym. I know cost is an issue with this dream!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dude, games are the best way to learn. It is fun and disguises learning. If you saw our presentation on video games, you will see that technology is changing fast and there are a lot of opportunities to incorporate video games into the classroom.

    ReplyDelete